Envirotek is keen to have a Schottel In-Stream Turbine installed in Singapore to showcase the technology in the South East Asian environment (e.g. conditions, constraints, early adopters). This demonstration will increase the reach of tidal energy in the region and may also provide a good reference project for future deployments in South East Asia.
The Energy Research Institute @ Nanyang Technological University (ERI@N) used the Crash Barrier between the Sentosa Boardwalk and the Sentosa Bridge as a Tidal Turbine Testbed. The site has been used and the resource has been characterized to give a good estimate of the velocities to be expected.
The objectives of the project are:
- To verify the potential site(s) for a Schottel In-Stream Turbine (SIT) strategic installation
- Explore avenues for funding the project in Singapore (i.e. SPRING and MPA)
- Consult and manage stakeholders for the project
- To design and develop an appropriate support frame for the SIT to installed at the selected site
- To deploy/ install the SIT (D = 4m to 6.3 m)
- To feed the output power of the SIT to an off-taker’s electrical load